Character-filled colonial home up for auction in Grange

first_img183 Evelyn St, GrangeThe home has airconditioning and fans throughout, a double-car garage with workshop and water tank, and upgraded electrical, plumbing, roof and guttering. The Grange property is within the Wilston State School catchment. The home is being marketed by Garry Jones and Craig Lea from McGrath Wilston and will be auctioned on February 25 at 2pm. 183 Evelyn St, Grange will go under the hammer on February 25THIS renovated colonial home is new to the market in Grange and will go under the hammer later this month. The property at 183 Evelyn St gives buyers all the character of an older home with the hard work of a renovation already done.The home has a charming street presence with white picket fence and a well presented facade. 183 Evelyn St, GrangeBi-fold doors open the kitchen out to the north facing deck, which has an outdoor kitchen and connects to the level yard. The master bedroom has a walk-in robe and ensuite while the second bedroom has French doors that open to the deck and the third bedroom has a built-in robe. The fourth bedroom could be used as a second living area. center_img 183 Evelyn St, GrangeThe timber stairs lead up to the shaded front veranda and on into the home, which is all on one level. More from newsFor under $10m you can buy a luxurious home with a two-lane bowling alley5 Apr 2017Military and railway history come together on bush block24 Apr 2019The open plan living, dining and kitchen area has VJ walls, timber floors and high ceilings. The kitchen has a traditional feel and modern appointments including stainless steel appliances. last_img read more

Murray Feeling Good Ahead of Wimbledon Â

first_imgIvan Lendl, the world number one’s coach, said: “Practice has gone well.”A two-time Wimbledon champion, Murray will face Kazakhstan’s world number 134 Alexander Bublik on Centre Court on Monday.It will be only the Scot’s second competitive match on grass this summer as he lost in the first round of the Aegon Championships.Prior to Friday, Murray had not been able to practice since Tuesday.BBC Sport’s David Ornstein said: “The decision to practise three times in a day this close to a tournament is unusual.“At about 9:30, Lendl told us that Murray was ‘doing great’, and after 10 the defending champion began hitting with Belgium’s Steve Darcis on the Aorangi Park practice courts.“The pair then moved over match court nine, in full view of the media and groundstaff. Murray looked reasonably comfortable as he and Darcis exchanged groundstrokes, but in between he limped heavily, bent over and grimaced.“The world number one then took part in some volleying and serving drills, appearing to reach close to full intensity. He continued to move gingerly and grimace, but he did not hold back.“Between serves he was seen joking and smiling with Lendl, who also spent a period in deep conversation with Wimbledon chief executive Richard Lewis. Murray left without taking any questions from the written or broadcast media.“He then hit with 17-year-old Scottish junior Aidan McHugh and looked fairly comfortable and relaxed, with his team looking relaxed too.”Share this:FacebookRedditTwitterPrintPinterestEmailWhatsAppSkypeLinkedInTumblrPocketTelegram Britain’s Andy Murray said he was feeling “good” after practising three times on Friday as he recovers from a hip injury which saw him pull out of his final Wimbledon warm-up match.Murray, 30, pulled out of an exhibition match in London on Friday, three days before he begins his Wimbledon defence.BBC Sport’s David Ornstein said Murray “grimaced” at times during practice but was “comfortable” in his final session.last_img read more

Former cop to give talk on early days of time spent policing Fort St. John this weekend

first_imgFrom dragging charred bodies out from burnt out forest fires to staring down a near shoot out at the Condill Hotel, Robert Miller did it all as one of Fort St. John’s earliest police officers.Miller is back in town this weekend after leaving his post in town more than 60 years ago, to give the public a taste of what it was like to police the Peace in the middle of the 20th Century.Miller will be at the Fort St. John North Peace Museum Saturday afternoon at 3 p.m. The museum is playing host to Miller to commemorate the 65th anniversary of the transition in 1950 from the British Columbia Provincial Police to the Royal Canada Mounted Police as we know it today.- Advertisement -“I love that country. I’m a little to old for that country now, but I loved Fort St. John and the whole area,” said Miller, who served during the transition.Miller came to Fort St. John in 1949, serving as one of two officers in the area until his departure in 1951, after first being stationed in Lillooet and Pouce Coupe.For the most part, Miller recalls his time on the job here as “quiet and peaceful,” one that paid well at $250 a month, and was filled mostly with petty breaking and entering — easy cases, he says, adding: “We always got our man.”But that’s not to say Miller didn’t have one or two brushes with danger.Advertisement The Condill Hotel was the popular local beer parlour and lodging place at the time, and that’s exactly where Miller found his man — sitting in his room with a bag at his side.“Luckily I had my gun drawn because the fellow reached for his grab bag, and had a loaded revolver in the top,” Miller recalled.“He turned out to be one of the most wanted people in Canada. We charged him, and Edmonton city police came and got him because he was wanted for attempted murder in Edmonton, and he had warrants for his arrest right across Canada.”Miller doesn’t recall the man’s name, but that’s of little importance to him today. He arrived in Fort St. John Friday to take a tour of the town, including the local RCMP detachment. Miller retired in 1979 after spending his career as a police officer across much of British Columbia.Museum curator Heather Sjoblom said there will be two other presentations tomorrow afternoon.Advertisement Sjoblom will give one on the very early years of the Northwest Mounted Police, who cut a trail through the region for gold seekers on their way to the Klondike, and the BC Provincial Police between 1898 to 1948.RCMP Cpl. Jodi Shelkie will also speak about being an RCMP officer in Fort St. John today. A short film will also be shown from when the museum moved the old provincial police barracks built in 1910 from the banks of the Peace River to its current home today on the museum’s grounds.“It’s going to be a nice contrast, from the stories I’ve been able to dig up and the stories Robert (and Jodi) will share,” Sjoblom said.The presentations are also a chance to reflect on 120 years of policing in the area, Sjoblom said.“It’s a great way for us to learn a lot more about the history of the area. There are a lot of blanks in our history,” she said.Advertisement The event begins at 3 p.m. and admission is free. For more, call the museum at 250-787-0430. He recalls a blistery February morning in 1951, when he came across a stranger wandering through town after finishing up with a car accident on the Alaska Highway.Back then, Fort St. John was a town where everyone knew everyone, especially the police, so Miller found it odd the strange unknown man had a strange bulge in his winter jacket, and was walking around the streets at four in the morning.“I thought it was gun. (The man reached into his jacket) so I up and hit him, and knocked him down, and it turned out to be just a camera,” Miller laughed.Miller thought nothing of the brush up and carried on — that was, until a pair of Canadian Air Force members romped into the police station a few hours later. An expensive camera had been stolen from one of their trucks, they charged.Advertisementlast_img read more

Why Didnt Your Health Insurance Cover Your Bill

first_imgAlso, blood test pricing variation in California is examined.USA Today: 5 Reasons Health Insurance Didn’t Pay Your BillHow many times have you gotten a medical bill for more than you were expecting? Chances are, it’s happened before, and you’re not the only one who’s been shocked at the price tag on a service that your insurance should have covered. Here are five possible reasons … 1. Your insurance company made an error. … 2. Your provider “accepts your insurance” — but isn’t in your plan’s network. … 3. Your free annual examination wasn’t billed as a free exam. … 4. Your insurance company practices “bundling.” …. 5. There’s missing information (Flynn, 8/17).The Washington Post: A $10,000 Blood Test?!? Yes, Really.Imagine walking into a hospital and being charged more than $10,000 for a blood test to check your cholesterol level. And going to another hospital in the same state and being charged $10 for the exact same blood test. That’s what a team led by a University of California San Francisco researcher found when it looked at the prices California hospitals charge for 10 common blood tests (Sun, 8/15).Related KHN story: Wide Variation In Hospital Charges For Blood Tests Called ‘Irrational’ (Rabin, 8/15). Why Didn’t Your Health Insurance Cover Your Bill? This is part of the KHN Morning Briefing, a summary of health policy coverage from major news organizations. Sign up for an email subscription.last_img read more